Yoga - Uniting the body and soul.I have recently given my first Yoga Pravesh exam from Yoga aashram so I would like to share few thoughts about Yoga to all those who are interested. I do not yet possess the Yoga Shiksha degree to teach anyone yoga, but I can suggest few Asanas for my friends who want them. Below are the findings I have read into famous grant of yogas Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and Hatha Yoga Pradipika, many western scholars will deem this as orthodox and false testimony, however be wary...Yoga is an eastern wisdom and not western arrogance.
Origin of Yoga
Yoga originated from Lord Adinath who mentioned its sutras to the divine Godess Parvati around 5000 years ago (probably more, remember: You cannot date Gods time scale). Then around 2000 years ago Maharhishi Patanjali decided to write the whole thing in the form of sutras for the benifit of people. The book they wrote is called Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, which underlines the principals of Yoga, i.e., Ashtanga.
Hatha Yoga Pradipika is a classic Sanskrit manual on Hatha Yoga, written by Swami Swatmarama, a disciple of Swami Gorakhnath.
These two are the oldest references of the principles of Yoga.
Principles of Yoga
Patanjali Sutra divides Yoga into 4 different Padas (books).
- Samadhi Pada (51 sutras)
- Samadhi refers to the state of complete oneness with the God. The soul willingly departs the human body and moves into void.
- There are two types of Samadhi, one taken by many mahapurush like Sant Dyaneshwar, Sant Tukaram and the other where anyone can practice (takes 20-30 years) where the soul departs only for few minutes. This can be one OOBE.
- Sadhana Pada (55 sutras)
- This is categorized into 2 forms, Kriya Yoga and Aastanga Yoga.
- Kriya Yoga or Karma yoga is practiced by many people across the globe. It underlines the principle of selfishless actions. It states by 3rd law of motion by Newton, Every action has equal and opposite reaction, so fullfill your action, you will get reaction.
- Astanga Yoga is what is practised widely into the west and is divided into 8 other forms.
- Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi.
- Vibhuti Pada (56 sutras)
- The one seen in Indian Superhero Shaktimaan, the yoga practise is highly dangerous and is done to attain Supranormal powers. It takes years and years to attain Vibhuti..
- Kaivalya Pada (34 sutras)
- Kaivalya literally means "isolation", but as used in the Sutras stands for emancipation, liberation and used interchangeably with moksha (liberation), which is the goal of Yoga. The Kaivalya Pada describes the nature of liberation and the reality of the transcendental self.
Yoga can be practiced early in the morning or minimum after 5 hours of having food. Anyone above 14 years can practice yoga.
Even Surya Namaskara, the chain of 6 asanas in Yoga is beneficial for a person. But, do learn the anka shastra of yoga before practicing it. As Yoga done correctly can gain you some nice benifits.
Also the swasan bandan (breathing discipline) is to be maintained while practising asanas.
Pregant Ladies should consult a certified Yoga praticiener as he can suggest some asanas for you.
Yoga is the magical devotion to God. You can be of any religion, caste state. The Yoga sutras offer youthe direct stairs to heaven. No need of confession nor any need for sinners. Once practised honestly and correctly you can attain Moksha soon.
In the end, you may practice yoga for its physical forms and not its spiritual form, but remember one thing yoga connects your Body, soul and God together and this is what matters the most....